Friday 1 July 2011

No Strongbow, eh?

Happy Canada Day! Wouldn't it be nice if I could start every blog with a "Happy Somethingorother"? We'll see...

Well I've made it to the end of the week of round 3 and, again, it wasn't so totally heinous. The anti-nausea pills seems to work really well for me so I'm grateful for that. I've had lots of help from friends and family this week too, which made managing the days with Lyla much easier. And I no longer think twice about taking the sleeping pills during chemo week. The steroids they put me on make my body too hyper to sleep otherwise. It's a strange feeling wanting to curl up under the fog of nausea pills but not be able to stop flailing your arms and legs in bed. Corey must feel like he's sleeping next to a spastic chicken by now. With the weekend here now though, I can tell things are settling down. Or maybe I'm just getting the hang of this chemo business. Either way, I'm happy to say today is a good day.  

My big complaint (and why have a blog if you can't complain on it, right??) is about food. My taste buds have gone all wonky. I thought maybe there was something wrong with my appetite. Turns out, not so much. The problem is nothing tastes right! Sourdough toast (which was my pregnancy life saver) tastes like cardboard. My tea tastes extra bitter. Even cheese is off. Oh dairy! Is this the end of our love affair? The cancer agency told me not to eat my favourite foods because I'd start to associate them with chemo. Ummmm, that's a problem because I. Love. Food. Period. We're about to head out to the Village Taphouse in Park Royal for lunch and I'm already stressing because I don't know what food I'm about to ruin for myself forever. And whatever food that is I'd like to wash it down with a Strongbow. But I can't. I can't run the risk of tainting my favourite drink on top of this all. Hmmm I feel another letter coming on...

Dear Strongbow,

You've most likely noticed an unexplained decrease in sales in the North Burnaby area in recent months. Please accept my appologies. It's just for a little while. We've been through these tough times before when I was waiting on Lyla. You know I'll be back. Not even cancer can keep us apart for too long. In the meantime, please start being sold in Hawaii so I can enjoy you there on my family trip in the New Year.

Cheers,
Ashlyn

I suppose I should just count my blessings. A little food aversion isn't the end of the world. And it's not as though I'll give up. You know I'll find something to eat. Most likely potatoes. Mmmmm potatoes. Ya that should do it.

Much love,
Ashlyn

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Ash. As soon as I read this post (I just finished reading the others), I just thought, "Dear god, don't let potatoes be ruined for my dear fellow carb-loving cousin!"

    Reading this blog put a lump in my throat and tear in my eye, but all that was swept way with laughter as I read your letters to cancer. You are an incredibly strong woman to be handling this with such resolve.

    You know that if there is ANYTHING you need from your family Australia, all you need to do is ask.

    All my love,
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete